Court House Hotel, Talbot..Victoria
Talbot is small historic town situated in central Victoria between Ballarat and Maryborough. Gold was discovered around Talbot around 1855 surging the population to 15,000 overnight. Many hotels sprung up in the town including the Court House Hotel built in 1861 being the only one still operating today.
Many of the buildings still existing in the town were built during the 1860s and 1870s. During the late 1880s the mines began to close and the population slowly started to drift away. The return of soldiers from the First World War saw an acceleration of this drift. With no established industries left, the town today is only a shadow of the town born during those early days of 1860. However, Talbot still has an interesting story to tell to any visitors.